Global Water Stewardship is made up of a variety of professionals who serve as Board Members, Chairs, or committee members. Each and every one offers their services as a volunteer. We could not be more thankful for their dedication to making GWS all that it can be!
To join a committee or inquire about the organization, contact the Chair.
Community Design is led by Zack Wallin. The Vice Chair is Joe Lapastora.
Together the committee:
- Prepares student design problem statements,
- Gathers community data,
- Mentors student design teams,
- Judges the GWS student design competitions,
- Requests and finalizes design deliverables to ASADA in English and Spanish,
- Coordinates student design presentations for ASADA,
- Follows-up on previous designs for ASADAs, and
- Assists ASADAs with the coordination in transitioning the student design to a final professional design.
Public Education and Outreach
Public Education and Outreach is led by Miranda Durbin. The committee provides:
- Presentations to elementary and high schools students in Costa Rica,
- Presentations to elementary and high school students in the US,
- Coordinates STEM activities and resources for schools,
- Educates communities and leaders about need for sanitation, and
- Organize events in the US to bring awareness.
Professional Development is led by Eider Alvarez-Puras. Committee tasks include:
- Provide training for water and sanitation professionals on wastewater treatment.
- Coordinate tours and knowledge exchange trips between US and CR.
- Establish scholarship fund and program for in-depth training of wastewater professionals.
- Develop bilingual resources, manuals, and curriculum on wastewater collection systems and treatment
- Organize technical seminars for water and wastewater professionals.
- Establish a graduate research internship program in CR for US students.
Projects for Construction
Projects for Construction is led by Micah Pitner. The Vice Chair is Maria Claudia Reed. The Committee has the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate biogarden construction program,
- Build biogardens at participating community schools,
- Follow up on biogarden maintenance,
- Develop designs and recommendations for special projects as needed,
- Provide technical support for community on final design and construction, and
- Follow up on the maintenance of constructed projects.
Marketing and Fundraising
Marketing and Fundraising is led by Rich Hussey. The Vice Chair is Matt Castillo. The committee:
- Prepares and publishes newsletters,
- Prepares and distributes annual report,
- Maintains the website and social media,
- Markets events in the US to raise GWS awareness,
- Prepares GWS brochures and other marketing materials,
- Solicits donations and manages relationships with donors, and
- Organizes annual fundraising events.